Monday, January 31, 2005

Aqualung, Luke Temple

Songs of Devastating Voicebreak
Crocodile, Seattle, WA

Since I missed a bunch of key shows last year because I poo-poo'd the hype, my New Year's resolution is "believe the hype." Hype looks funny if you type it a bunch of times. Hype. HYPE. hypehypehype. So here I am preparing to see Aqualung since they are currently hypeful.

But first is the lovey Luke Temple. I often wish I were a musical matchmaker and with the crinkle of a nose could cause duets and collaborations to take place between complementary voices. I would pay at least twenty dollars to hear Luke Temple and Inara George sing together. Maybe even twenty-five.

The audience is pretty attentive for Luke even though he's a bit quiet. The exception is a tube-top wearing, PBR-sipping girl standing next to me who unleashes an incomprehensible and ceaseless commentary on the tiniest behavioral quirks and clothing choices of every human around us. That is MY JOB, sister. Get your own blog.

I end up at a body gate, and with my keen observational powers can peg how people heard about Aqualung as they stream by me. It goes something like: KEXP-KEXP-O.C.-O.C.-O.C.-O.C.-End-End-KEXP-O.C.-O.C.-repeat. The nice thing about the O.C. infusion, as was the case during the Earlimart show, is that we have a nice bit of diversity here for a change. Most of the O.C. guys are wearing collared shirts. I do not know why.

During the break before Aqualung comes on, a girl behind me responds to a pick-up by launching into a full-on Margaret Cho routine, complete with mom-impersonating screeches. The guy is impressed, but clearly his role in the conversation is over. It takes him a good ten minutes to squeak in his name, which is promptly mocked. Merlin.

Aqualung is one guy - Matt Hales - and his brother/manservant Ben. Unfortunately Matt's voice is a bit trashed from this tour, making it raspier and breakier. The effect is that his already sad songs are turned DEVASTATING because he sounds like he's going to cry during all the choruses. That bit of drama makes us really listen to the words for the first time, and now we're trying not to cry. However, the people encourage him, bring him scotch, and clap even louder when his voice completely dies. It's a positive, packed room, everyone looks nice, and we all forget about work in the morning. Maybe TV isn't so bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home